In this episode, Ian and Andy ramble on about nuance and how it matters (sometimes). They talk about testing and checking, bug and defect, meander into audio panning, and wrap up with bug advocacy. Peeping Tom the turkey guests, adding occasional commentary.
- Testing vs. Checking
- Thinking like a robot
- Michael Bolton's tweet on testers not preventing defects (and subsequent replies)
- Friend of the Show Mark Tomlinson's tweet poking us to talk about bug vs. defect
- James Bach's definition of "bug"
- Positive vs. Negative testing
- Geek Squad
- Best Buy
- The Little Big Details
- Quality Characteristics Cheat Sheet from Rikard Edgren, Henrik Emilsson, and Martin Jansson
- Cem Kaner & Becky Fiedler's BBST Bug Advocacy course (many of the points Andy makes about reporting bugs are elaborated further here)
- Jerry Weinbergs' definition of quality
- Michael Bolton's 3 stories of reporting
- Developer & Tester Conflict (This paper takes a bit of a pessimistic view and is based on a small survey of developers and testers from one company but highlights some of the areas of conflict)